9/27/2012

Getting back into sketching

I've always loved art, but I find it a funny thing.
Some of the world's most celebrated artists nowadays can barely draw,
while sites like Etsy are full of incredibly talented people who you've never heard of. 

The trick, of course, is to stand out from the crowd. 
To have a thang.

At the start of this year, I decided to keep an art / sketch / written journal, 
to track what is probably the most exciting and busy year of my life. 

I set myself a rule to not get rid of any "mistakes" in my journal. 
Something that makes it difficult to share pieces in which I can see the clear flaws, 
but that also forces me to appreciate the beauty of something raw.


As well as documenting the incredible journey that 2012 has turned out to be, 
I feel that it has helped me to reconnect with parts of me that I'd forgotten about. 
When I was a teenager, I used to stay awake all hours of the night just sketching and sketching.
And over the years, I just kind of forgot to do it.  



I've always loved trying out new things, 
dabbling in whatever the latest craze is,
but give me a biro and a sketch pad...
that's my thang.

And even if it never makes me famous,
if my scribbles never make it onto a mug or a mouse mat,
it keeps me true to myself.

4 comments:

  1. Is that your sketch? It's pretty incredible. It's great to have something that is just yours, that you do for nobody but yourself. Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me so happy. We should always be true to ourselves and do things because we love doing it. Keep it up!
    Xo,cb

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's awesome that you started sketching again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think this is cool! i do the same thing

    ReplyDelete

Now you say something...